Explore the North Shore
A Local’s Recommendations
Wondering which road to take? With so many opportunities on the North Shore, how do you pick? Let me help you! I live here and I’m happy to make my suggestions. For each category [Spring Beauties, Smoked Fish and Such, etc] I include a list of 4+ recommendations for you to choose from. Do one or do them all. I hope this helps you get out and enjoy the North Shore.
To see a moose -> try driving backroads at dawn or dusk, be sure to look in ponds. The Gunflint Trail is and excellent place to spot these gangly, majestic beasts.
- Spring Beauties – early season gushers
- High Falls – the top 3 highest falls plus a bonus
- Drive Bys & Short Hikes – easy access
- Big Hike, Big Reward – moderate to more difficult access
- All Summer Long – more than a trickle
- Family Friendly – sights and trails without the cliffs
- Accessible – paved walkways
- Terrain & Vistas – all about the wide open panoramic views
- Short Hikes, All Day – hike a little, see a lot
- Bring a Picnic Lunch – spend the day and cover some territory
- Breweries & Winery – 2 breweries, a coffee roaster and a winery
- Smoked Fish & Such – local treats and where to get them
- Where the Wild Things Are – best chance to see them
- Aurora Borealis – oh those northern lights
- Drives – early and late season, paved and backroads
- Hikes – best hikes for autumn
- Take Your Breath Away – top 5 fall color must-see
- All By Myself – the road / trail less travelled
Click on the photos below and start planning your trip!